Something I just want to put out there. This is a list of creative people (not just photographers) whom I have always looked up to and been curious at how their imagination works.
The longer I've been shooting, the more I realized that I needed to get out of it in order to bring in something fresh. I started searching out ideas from things other than what I do for a living. Do these people have anything directly to do with photography? Not really, but they have all the creative capacity to feed my imagination.
The names and links are just samplers. I suggest googling for their names to get more information about them. Extra descriptions are there whenever I have something more to say about them.
- Annie Liebovitz, probably the only photographer without an official website. As if she needs one.
- Steve Jobs, People hated, loathed, admired and love him. No matter how you feel about the man, he has still left an indelible mark in shaping our technology.
- Herb Ritts
- Michael Muller, this guy is beyond cosplay photography. He is the official photographer for most of the superhero movies you got to see. Does Spiderman, Wolverine, X-MEN, Iron Man... well, ring a bell?
- Bill Gates, the lord of the geeks.
- Andrew Grove, one of the revolutionaries behind Intel Corporation.
- Masamune Shirow, the writer of Ghost in the Shell. In my humble opinion, is the best Japanese cyber punk anime titles of all time. Fine, next to Akira.
- Katsuhiro Otomo, the writer of Akira
- Hieaki Anno, writer / director of the Evangelion series
- Dave Hill, is my idol in hyper realism photography
- Arny Freytag
- Stephen Wayda, asides from Arny, is one of the most common names I get to see on particular periodicals I used to enjoy as a teenager. Hahaha. Here's a good interview about how he goes about his career as a Playboy photographer.
- Antoine Verglas, he has that same rock star vibe as our local idol, Xander.
- David La Chapelle, his wild imagination just leaves me thinking how the hell he comes up with these things.
- Jim Fiscus
- J.J. Abrams
- Joss Whedon
- Jim Lee
- Marc Silvestri
- Neil Gaiman, Sandman got me hooked.
- Kevin Smith
- Alan Moore, don't call yourself a geek if you haven't read Watchmen.
- Whilce Portacio, one of the pioneer Filipino artists who made it the US market. His influence and work paved the way for the other younger illustrators to make it into Marvel / DC.
I would revisit this list every now and then to add more. Check out my youtube channel for your regular glimpse behind the scenes! While you're at it, drop buy the online store and get goodies from your favorite models!
For those interested in my commercial work, check out pointblankstudios.net and follow us at @pointblankmnl in IG.